What are Addition Reactions?
This post will go through addition reactions for QCE Chemistry.
4.1.3 – Organic Reactions and Reaction Pathways
- Describe, using equations:
- Addition reactions of alkenes with water, halogens and hydrogen halides
- Addition reactions of alkenes to form poly(alkenes)
- Understand that organic reactions can be identified using characteristic observations and recall tests to distinguish between:
- alkanes and alkenes using bromine water
As explored in an earlier post, addition reactions occur on unsaturated molecules (e.g. alkenes, alkynes).
This video goes through the main addition reactions.
This video goes through addition polymerisation.
This video will go through the bromine water test, used to identify alkenes immediately. Alkanes will react with bromine after exposure to UV rays.